True to its commitment to creating substantial value for Greek society, OPAP completed the renovation of pediatric hospitals “Aghia Sophia” and “Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriacou”. The project represents a significant investment in public health, in the framework of which 30 renovation works were carried out, across an area of 14,960 sq. meters in total, including 23 nursing units of international standards with a capacity of 564 beds.
A ceremony to deliver the project was held on Thursday 19 May 2022, in the presence of Prime Minister Mr. Kyriacos Mitsotakis, Health Minister Mr. Thanos Plevris, Alternate Health Minister Ms. Mina Gaga, Allwyn Board Chairman and strategic shareholder of OPAP Mr. Karel Komárek, as well as representatives of the Greek State and the management of the company.
Prime Minister, Mr. Kyriacos Mitsotakis, stated: “Major corporations understand that they have an obligation to give a significant social dividend back to society. It is not merely a formal obligation in the context of Corporate Social Responsibility; I believe all modern businesses realize their role in this difficult situation, which we must all acknowledge differently than we did in the past. I am certain that OPAP, as one of the largest Greek corporations, will continue this Corporate Social Responsibility program with even greater enthusiasm, especially now that it will have seen how much more value it has managed to add to our two Pediatric Hospitals”.
The Allwyn Board Chairman, Mr. Karel Komárek, stressed: “The renovation of Greece’s largest children’s hospitals makes everyone at OPAP and Allwyn – our international company – especially proud. We firmly believe that companies don’t just make a difference through their financial performance. Their response to social issues is equally important. The renovation of the two hospitals fully reflects this approach. With significant investments and hard work, the hospitals now provide modern healthcare infrastructure and an upgraded treatment environment. Of course, the most important thing is the support offered to thousands of children across Greece. This is the greatest reward for us.”
Minister for Health, Mr. Thanos Plevris, and Alternate Minister for Health, Ms. Mina Gaga, praised the importance of the project to the crucial children’s’ health sector and to supporting the National Health System. On his part, the Joint Governor of the Interconnected Children’s Hospitals, Mr. Emmanuel Papasavvas, thanked OPAP for the significant support provided to doctors and nursing staff at the two hospitals.
In the context of the event, the Executive Chairman of OPAP, Mr. Kamil Ziegler, the Minister for Health, Mr. Thanos Plevris, and the Joint Governor of the Interconnected Pediatric Hospitals, Mr. Emmanuel Papasavvas, signed a protocol officially delivering the project to the Greek State and society.
Moreover, attendees were given a guided tour of the Pediatric Nursing Unit of Wing B, on the 2nd floor of the "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou" hospital, which was the final facility to be renovated.
Health services of the highest standard in a pleasant environment
The renovated and fully modernized pediatric hospitals “Aghia Sophia” and “Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriacou”, which serve the needs of children from across Greece, now provide health services of the highest standard.
The renovation project begun in 2014, as part of OPAP’s Social Responsibility program. The 30 works that have been carried out include the following significant interventions:
- The complete renovation of the Central Sterilization unit at the “Aghia Sophia” hospital after 50 years. Having equipment of the highest international standards, the new unit serves both hospitals, covering needs for which the involvement of other National Health System units was needed, until recently.
- The complete renovation of the Second Pediatric Nursing Unit of the “Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou” hospital, which contributes to the treatment of COVID-19 cases, thanks to its state-of-the-art infectious disease unit. This innovative unit features state-of-the-art negative pressure beds and automated systems.
- The renovation of pediatric surgical units at both hospitals, which are a benchmark in Greece’s pediatric sector.
- The complete renovation of the Day Care Unit of the “Aghia Sophia” hospital, which now has a world-class surgical complex and resuscitation ward.
- The creation of an advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou" hospital, which meets the highest international standards.
In the context of the renovation, the pediatric hospitals “Aghia Sophia” and "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou" have been equipped with the necessary office and hotel equipment. In addition, the electromechanical installations and the air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems have been completely modernized, and extensive aesthetic interventions have been carried out, which create a pleasant therapeutic environment for children.